Sunday, July 11, 2010

A New Home, A New Start

Well, I haven't updated in FOREVER.  Since Alex and I are pretty much an old boring couple and we don't have little ones, there's not always a lot to blog on yet.  It'll be a lot more fun when we have kids.  However, we have had a lot of new and exciting things going on in our world.  To quickly update:

1. I left my job of two years as a high school English teacher at Bolingbrook High school.  I had very mixed emotions about this since it was a JOB, period, and in this struggling economy, that didn't seem real smart.  People didn't mind telling me that either.  However, I decided to follow my heart this time and that led us straight back home to Fulton, where I grew up and about 10 minutes from where Alex's parents live.  It was the best decision of my life.  I'm still jobless, but it's looking like that might end soon. Keep your fingers crossed.

2. We moved into our very first home!! We've been apartment dwellers for six years now and it feels great to have a yard, extra space, a basement, and a garage.  It's so wonderful to come home to.  It's a real cute, small dollhouse and it's just perfect for us!  It's been so fun decorating and making it our very own place.  The cats are just loving it, too!!

3. We're SOOO close to family!! Here's the situation: my parents live one block north east of us, my sister and her husband live two blocks north west, and Alex's family lives 10 miles north.  There couldn't be anything more perfect than that.  That is exactly why we moved home.  It's changed our lives in so many ways having them all so close.  We've been traveling home to the Fulton/Thomson area EVERY SINGLE WEEKEND for the past four years to see family.  It was so draining and we never felt at peace. ever.  It's so strange and wonderful to be able to sit together, relax, and watch t.v. on a Sunday night instead of spending it traveling back to Aurora.  We will never ever do that again.

4. Alex has had a very exciting summer already!! We just found out he got accepted to Western Illinois University in Moline and will be attending there this fall.  He's been chipping away at college since he returned from the army back in 2004.  He's been supporting himself the entire time (except the last year he was attending and I had my job) so needless to say, that's rough.  He's had to quit and go back to work at least four times to save up and be able to afford going back each time.  I'm so proud of him for sticking with it.  He has roughly three semesters left and we CAN'T hardly wait to have a dual income.  We can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel.  Alex also got a summer job at Clausens, driving truck again.  That CDL license has been a life-saver so many times.  Plus, I'm not ashamed to say it at all, but he's a darn good truck driver! : ) Hopefully this is the last time he'll ever have to do it, though, because he really hates it.  They're even going to keep him on to work breaks and days off from school.

And those are just the big things...we've had so much fun since we moved home and we're looking forward to so much more!! It's going to be a great thing, living here in Fulton, and I can't wait to see all the memories we're going to make in our new home.

No comments:

Post a Comment