Sunday, July 18, 2010

The Beauty of Plates

There's just something so...pretty about plates.  I can't describe it.  My eyes have always been attracted to them for some reason or another.  We'll be in a department or antique store and my hands instantly graze over the tops of the pearly smooth surfaces.  I love them in all colors but I'm especially in love with creamy whites and old antique ones with pretty light pink or yellow flowering. 

How could you resist these???

I've always wanted to collect them but wondered what I would do with them all...Have a secret stash of beautiful plates?  Bust out my favorite ones when we have company over?  Bundle them all up and store them down in our dark basement to collect dust?  Maybe display them somehow?  When I was choosing the dishes for our wedding registry, I thought my mind was going to explode with all of the choices!!  It was probably my favorite thing that I had to pick out for our wedding!!  I think I changed my mind at least 300 times.  This is what we finally chose:
I loved the simplicity of them and that I didn't have to feel bad using them every day but yet they were still very pretty.  I'm still so pleased I chose them.  It was extremely easy to get matching platter dishes and other serveware--just choose white! Here's a few more of the many things we chose to go along with them. 



Being that I'm currently jobless, which means majorly pinching pennies on things like decor and such, I've been trying to think of some creative ways to decorate our new place.  Here's my dilemma...we have this HUGE pale blue empty wall in our kitchen that's dying for something pretty to go on it.  I've considered everything: shelves, framed art, photos, you name it.  
Here's what I'm working with. 

After doing some investigating online, I finally stumbled across something that felt like me.  Something I could be happy with on my big empty wall.  You guessed it!!  PLATES! Many plates! Different types, different shapes, different sizes--all arranged into a beautiful piece of artwork.  I was officially inspired.  So...that leads me to finding these said plates.  Starting Monday, I will be hitting the local antique stores for plates, plates, and more plates.  I realize this could take quite a while coming up with a group of them that are to my liking, but that's okay.  All the more fun.  Hopefully soon I'll be able to show you a finished wall that looks something like a perfect combination of these:  


Now I just need to find some plates and a pattern that works for our wall and we'll be good to go!! Hopefully I'll have some photos of our wall o' plates soon!!

2 comments:

  1. Wow those are all gorgeous! What a cute idea! Can't wait to see yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Flea market in Thomson! That place has all kinds of treasure. I was just reading a magazine that showed tracing all the plates onto butcher paper (or wrapping paper) and then you can tape the paper to the wall until you figure out the layout. Seemed smart.

    ReplyDelete